Aware & Prepare
The Aware & Prepare Initiative, a public-private partnership dedicated to strengthening community disaster resiliency within the Santa Barbara County Operational Area*, enhances the capabilities and coordination of government agencies and non-profit organizations in mitigating, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies and disasters.
Initiated in 2008 by the Orfalea Foundation and the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management, this partnership receives support from a collaborative of local foundations, as well as the technical expertise and guidance of Witt Associates.
The priorities of the Aware & Prepare Initiative include:
• Public Education & Awareness
• Preparedness, Planning & Training for Government Agencies and Non-Governmental Organizations
• Leadership Response Coordination (primarily via the Emergency Operations Center)
• Resources for Emergency Public Information Providers
• Training and Coordination of Volunteers
• Coordination of Resources, Personnel, and Emergency Supplies
For more details on the programs and participants involved, please visit www.awareandprepare.org.
*The Santa Barbara County Operational Area includes Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, and Solvang, as well as the unincorporated areas and special districts.